I'm Back

Discussion in 'Les's Living Room' started by SAguitar, Nov 5, 2017.

1. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

OK, true confession time. I've been playing my Strats a lot lately, and making my Gibsons jealous. After Thursday night's rehearsal, I felt like something was missing. So tonight I took one of my Les Pauls to the gig. It felt like coming home.

2. Billy C

Billy C Active Member

Are we attached Stan, think so but that is good, for sure. Don't gig out but rotate about on a weekly basis with a herd of eight..........................

Oh by the way Stan do you know much, good or indifferent on a Guild Starfire 5. Somehow I got the gas maybe on that one but nothing has sealed the deal one way or the other.......

Billy..............

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Welcome back Stan. Nothing wrong in trying other guitars. Last few of gigs, I have been using a Strat and Trussart along with my LPs. They sound great plugged straight into amp.

4. Infant

Infant Well-Known Member

Didn't know you left!!:biggrin:
    As I've gotten older, I tend to take my lighter guitars to gigs. I tend to switch between my Melody Maker (just under 7lbs) or my Tele Thinline (just over 6lbs), but I'll admit that the Tele is used for most of the gigs. At home I play them all...Strat, Teles, MM and ES137.

5. SAguitar

Yeah, variety is the spice of life! I go 'round and 'round this circle all the time. It is nice to have a selection of great guitars to choose from, I am quite fortunate.

And Billy, those Guilds are quite nice guitars too, if it's a situation where you can play it I would certainly give it a shot.

6. SAguitar

And 'round and 'round...

So for several weeks, I've been pulling guitars out of closets, running them through the paces, and even taken them out for the weekend adventure. But I kept coming home thinking something was not quite hittin' it. Then last week I pulled out my oldest Les Paul, that I've owned for 40 years now and got that oh yeah feeling again. Lester kicked butt all weekend and I made it home a satisfied man. I'm sure this is just a temporary fix again because I'm rarely satisfied for long, but life is good.

7. Old Tom

Old Tom New Member

It's a good feeling, ain't it Stan? When the axe feels right, you feel right,and
    the music just seems to flow out, instead of having to fight for it...

8. Infant

Infant Well-Known Member

Yup...in my case, I went from Gibson to Fender.... it was my 43 yr old Telecaster. I've kinda put it in semi retirement because it was my main guitar for almost 35 years and weighing in at about 9.5 lbs I find it too heavy to gig with these days. However last week I brought it to a rehearsal and it was like catching up with an old friend. Just felt so good in my hands and that Tele sparkle and twang....sounds so nice. However, this weekend, probably gonna go back to my Melody Maker at the gig.... P90s can kick some serious R&R @$$ !!!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

9. SAguitar

Right on, I gigged that old Paul for several decades before the frets were so worn that it buzzed all over the neck. Then he sat in the closet for years because I had discovered eBay and there was no one around here that I would trust with my Lester. Finally I found someone to do the job so he got all brand new frets, and had the fretboard releveled. Afterwards, Lester played better than he ever had before, and I rewarded him with a weekend of soldering while I installed the Jimmy Page wiring scheme.

10. SAguitar

I wanted like heck to play my 335 last weekend, but we did a few songs that just demanded Strat tones so that's what I gave them. I am aiming to bringing out the 335 for this next week, and we'll see how that goes.

11. Infant

Infant Well-Known Member

Tonight I was sitting around watching a hockey game on the tube and I decided to play some guitar. Before I knew it it had my Melody Maker, Strat, Tele, ES137 and '72 thinline out on stands and putting thru them their paces thru my Deluxe Reverb and Katana. It was fun and I started falling in love with that in between Strat tone again. I may bring her to Thursday nights rehearsal.

12. SAguitar

Strats definitely have their own voice. I love the thick, juicy tones that I can get from my Gibsons, but sometimes a Strat or a Tele is just the right thing to do.

13. SAguitar

I've gone completely schizophrenic. When I'm onstage playing a Les Paul, I'll wish I was playing a Strat, and vice versa. There is no cure.

14. SAguitar

I had a very enjoyable time last night with several of my best friends (guitars). For once I had several hours available with nothing more important to do than play guitar and it was sweet. I had some Christmas tunes that I had to relearn and practice because we will be doing them soon. It felt like most of them would work best with some nice Gibson tones so I got out 3 Les Pauls and spent some quality time with them. Finally, I pulled out my ES-335 and it felt so good, that might be the one I'm playing for most of the rest of the month. Those are such beautiful instruments, every note comes out delicious! I love my Les Pauls (and my SG), but last night they were just feeling too "rock," and the songs were asking for a 335 touch.

15. Infant

Infant Well-Known Member

I do the same thing from time to time. I'll take out 3 or 4 and put them on guitar stands, all different flavours....a Strat, a Tele, ES137 etc and I go around the room and reaquaint myself with them. Kinda fun!

16. SAguitar

That's a great way to spend the day, or night! I think it was Chet Atkins that said if you don't play a guitar often enough, it will forget you.

17. SAguitar

Oh yes, this weekend is definitely a 335 celebration. The blonde girl worked out very well at Thursday's rehearsal, so she is gonna do it.

18. Infant

Infant Well-Known Member

Something about the vibe of a semi hollow...all guitars can scream, but a semi can also wail!!

19. SAguitar

Exactly! And when you dial them back a bit, they can be so sweet. I had a great time with my 335 this weekend, and will have to make her more prominent in the rotation.

20. SAguitar

Sometimes you just don't know. I took 3 guitars to our rehearsal last night; a Stratocaster, Lester (my #1 Les Paul), and a Telecaster packed with two humbuckers. After practicing at home, I really wasn't sure which was gonna work best for this week's set list. In the end, the Telecaster seems to have won the day!

This Tele is not your everyday workingman's plank. I bought it about 5 years ago as a test guitar, and after numerous tweaks and upgrades it has gone from a sleeper to a contender. It's just a Mexican made Blacktop model that Fender used to make, but I have run a variety of pickups in it, finally settling on a pair of GFS Retrotron Hot Nashville pups (38 bucks each), and they are a great pair for this axe. I put in GraphTech saddles, a 4-way switch, a TBX control, and a CTS volume pot, just 'cause I had them on the workbench. This lightweight guitar produces a large spectrum of sounds, and just seems to fit great into the soundscape of our band. I guess I should spend even more time with it, runnin' down the dream.

Infant likes this.