How to improve

Discussion in 'Mods and Tech Talk' started by Roger Owens, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Roger Owens

Roger Owens New Member

Hello, I've been playing for about a year, I have a Les Paul Custom Pro and a Ej200sce acoustic. I'm a beginner, more toward advanced, but I can't afford guitar lessons, I know chords, tab but I was wondering what would be the best workbook out there that would teach me most of the things needed for learning rhythm some soloing and the stuff in between. More or less a really good guitar workbook that's had the stuff I need to know. Thank you for your help

2. Infant

Infant Well-Known Member

Hi Roger and welcome to Gibson Talk. Hopefully someone might be able to help you as I haven't had a lesson in 45 years. I picked up rhythm and strumming on my own by playing along with the records back then.

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

Welcome to Gibson-Talk, Roger!
    Like Rob, I am pretty much self taught and I don't think I ever took a real lesson on guitar.
    In this day and age, the internet is quite full of resources to learn from. You could try www.justinguitar.com for one, but there are literally thousands available. And YouTube is overflowing with videos of techniques, lessons in various styles and genres. I have a few books at home that I will pull out and post here when I get home.

Infant likes this.
  4. I'm another of the 'I remember when all we had was..." brigade.
    I started in the early '80s, before even tab had been invented, let alone CDs, video tutors, internet, youtube...
    In my opinion, getting a book is THE second best way to learn, if you can't afford lessons - it's how I did it.
    There used to be a book called the Guitar Handbook, which pretty much outlined all the theory and a load of other stuff. Listen to and try to learn to play a lot of different music, not just your favourite band. You'll start to notice that everyone follows established patterns.
    My personal opinion, you'll learn better, by avoiding anything visual - youtube, video tutors etc. It'll be slower, but you'll learn to listen at the same time - Youtube is overflowing with guitarists who can't hear that they're out of tune.
    Also, form/join a band. Playing with other/better musicians is....
    I always say, 'Playing an instrument is like sex. You can'r get good at it by yourself... and you haven't lived until you've played in a band in front of an audience...'

5. spellcaster

spellcaster Active Member

When I started playing, I taught myself to read sheet music, but discovered it was a useless skill......Rock and roll guitar music books weren't that common and only showed chord patterns. Since then, I've played by ear and it's served me well. However, I thought it might be useful to learn tab, but I'm having trouble finding the right site. Most tab lessons seem geared to beginners and what I want is something aimed at experienced players who want tab skills. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

When I started, I was just playing with other guitarists, so I didn't see the need to learn "real" music, and this was long before the days of the Internet and everything that accompanied that monstrosity. After many years of jamming and then gigging, I eventually started playing at church and that was a whole new world to me. I was suddenly attempting to make music with real musicians who were trained and could read the stuff easily. I've never had a great ear so I decided to teach myself to read. I went down to a local college, bought a music theory textbook and began the process. Fast forward to today, and I can read music a bit, not fluently, but enough to try to keep up.

I think that tab lessons are geared more for beginners because there is a lot that is lost in the translation. Tab is simply not capable of relaying nearly as much information as sheet music readily offers.

7. Infant

Infant Well-Known Member

I used to be able to read music....still can...somewhat. Now I tend to play by ear. If we learn new songs, I look at the chord charts and then I can hear improvisations in my head. I have a pretty good ear and I can hear harmonies that aren't there.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Active Member

[​IMG]
    From 1554. Red characters indicate the vocal part.
    I am also mostly self-taught, but I played clarinet before guitar and knew the treble clef pretty well. Nick Manoloff's Modern Guitar method was my primer.
    Never being one to favor one fountain over another, I add to my knowledge and technique at every opportunity. Play on.

kaicho8888, SAguitar and Infant like this.
  9. kaicho8888

kaicho8888 Member

...Learned from listening to records or reel-to-reel. Since I just played rock/blues, I've never learned to read music or even know about Tabs. Old farts like me did not have tutors giving rock lessons. I suppose, with the advent of Youtube, it's easier to learn. I know very little about lessons on CD. You can also use programs to change tempo or pitch to slow it down!

You might check your local library for guitar lessons on CD. I found them helpful. Mainly to be able to communicate with others in a jam or play by using music terminologies with other musicians.

10. kaicho8888

kaicho8888 Member

BTW, after you've mastered enough licks and feel proficient enough, you should attend your local jams. Blues jams are easier using basic I-IV, V chords. You can attend and get the feel first before you go on stage.

It is lots of fun and you learn quickly how to be "in the mix" and improvise with others in the band. If you can sing, you are in a better position to select what you want to play.

Recently, I've notice a number of younger players in their twenty's learning and improving at the jams rather quickly. It's nice to see a new generation admiring and continuing the music we love so much.

...Mainly, have fun!